ADT A08 - Event Type Matching
ADT^A08: Update an Encounter
In specification. API spec subject to change.
Case for change
- An A08 currently creates an 'Updated information for <name>' event within 'Events and Messages'. Feedback has indicated that it is not always clear what this relates to.
- An A08 'Updated Information' event can be orphaned within 'Events and Messages'. If an A08 is sent in relation to a previous event (e.g. transfer) and then that previous event is cancelled (i.e. A12 - cancel transfer) then the main event is removed from 'Events and Messages' but the 'Updated Information' panel remains and can not be removed from the encounter.
- An A08 sent for a historical update - e.g. a change out of sequence - is displayed within 'Events and Messages' but it is not clear what it relates to. E.g. if an A08 is sent with the intention of correcting the admitting location then an 'Updated Information' panel is displayed but the admission event is not updated.
This message can be used to update a previously received encounter.
- An A08 will default to updating the most recent event on the encounter rather than creating its own event. All PV1 segment information supported by PKB can be updated.
- An A08 will be ignored if the encounter does not already exist within PKB.
- The source system will optionally have a means to specify a specific event to apply the update to using a bespoke ZVN segment. This will override the default behaviour of updating the most recent event.
Please click through to the Data Model to explore the presentation of these entities in the web interface.
This is identical in format to the ADT^A01, except that a ZVN segment can be used to match a specific [[Encounter Event]], and PV1-44 and PV1-45 will be checked only for updates to the timestamp of admission and/or discharge [[Encounter Event]]s, where they exist. This is shown below:
Typical A08 message. Updates the most recent event on the encounter. Additionally the admission date on the admission event is updated if the supplied PV1-44.1 is different.
Customised A08 message. This will update the transfer event from 01/02/2019 10:15. Additionally the admission date on the admission event is updated if the supplied PV1-44.1 is different.
Customised A08 message. This will update the admission event on the encounter. E.g. this A08 may reflect a correction to previous admission details or a historical update event.
Customised A08 message. This will update a pre admission event on the encounter. E.g. the pre admission is rescheduled. The associated [[Appointment]] will also be updated.